Is Green Bay Really the Ninth-Best Team in the Country?
Posted: 07 February 2012 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2009-06-30

Just thought I’d open the floor for discussion and debate. Both major national polls have Wisconsin-Green Bay ranked at No. 9 this week. Do they deserve it?

On the one hand, you’ve got to respect a 20-0 record, and Green Bay is one of just two unbeaten teams in the Top 25. On the other, whom do they play?

One of the problems in polling is that if a team starts off too high, but has an easy schedule, it is very hard not to keep propelling them up the ladder as other teams, facing stronger competition, inevitably suffer losses for which they have to be “penalized” by downgrading. Hard to move the undefeated team down too, when they are, after all, undefeated.

But do the pollsters really think Green Bay could stay on the floor with, say, No. 16 Rutgers or No. 15 Nebraska, to say nothing of No. 10 Ohio State or No. 11 Tennessee? Do you? Inquiring minds would like to know!

Posted: 07 February 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-07-16

Wisconsin-Green Bay may be able to beat Ohio State, which I don’t have very much respect for, and Nebraska, which I don’t know to much about, but I seriously doubt they could beat a healthy Tennessee and Rutgers. I also don’t think they could come close to beating Baylor, Notre Dame, UCONN, Stanford, Duke, Kentucky, Maryland, and Georgetown. In another month we will find out just how good they are.

Posted: 07 February 2012 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2009-06-30

my bet is out in Round 2, depending on how they’re seeded - Sweet 16 would be a major achievement. And BTW—Nebraska is VERY good and likely to get better over the next two years absent injuries

Posted: 08 February 2012 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rookie
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-07-16

Let me try this post again since the first one didn’t go through. Last year Nebraska had a great player(can’t remember her name) and an outstanding team. I believe they advanced to the elite eight before finally being defeated by Stanford. I think its good for women’s basketball when a team like Nebraska and Wisconsin-Green Bay advance far into the NCAA Tournament, but it probably won’t happen this year.

Posted: 08 February 2012 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  559
Joined  2009-07-20

It’s always difficult to figure out how good a mid-major is.

In general, my feeling is that in a single game, the inspired mid-major can give the more talented BCS team a serious battle. One reason is that usually the coach of a mid-major power is very good, and given some time, will be able maximize his team’s chances in a single game.

On the other hand, if that same mid-major had to play in a BCS conference week-in and week-out, then I think you’d see the difference in talent, size and athleticism play much more of a role. If nothing else, bigger players can wear down smaller ones, and banging against big bodies twice a week for nine weeks (as in the Pac-12) will definitely have an impact.

So, to me, on any given night, Green Bay might well be No. 9; but put the Phoenix in the Big 10, and they’re probably not ranked.

‹‹ Da Bears      More Trouble on Rocky Top ››